We are looking to recruit a Physics Programmer for our talented team on Train Sim World; an immersive first-person simulation game allowing you to be the driver of a range of diesel and electric trains on some of the world's most amazing railways.
You will drive the implementation of vehicle physics most notably in the area of locomotive simulation. The successful candidate must be able to create efficient mathematical models and physics systems in order to ensure highly accurate and authentic simulation experiences for our players. Talented graduate candidates will be considered.
At Dovetail Games we are passionate about empowering our people to build beautiful worlds, craft breath-taking games and do the best work of their career to deliver our vision: "By Enthusiasts, For Enthusiasts".
We have just moved into a brand new river-front studio in the heart of the Historic Dockyard in Kent, UK. We are growing fast, developing our games using cutting-edge technology and delivering these on multiple platforms: PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Responsibilities
What we look for in you
- Using visual modelling tools for creating simulations of vehicle powertrains, including electrical, mechanical and air systems as well as embedded control systems.
- Work with vehicle setup team to create the interface between simulation variables and controls or displays in cab. Helps to maintain, improve and optimise the physics system.
- Use of simulation debugging tools to improve stability and accuracy of the vehicle simulation.
- Support and develop the current physics engine, implementing cutting edge algorithms and optimisations.
- Innovate mathematically rigorous solutions for simulated vehicles.
- Report to the lead engineer and assist in the planning and estimation of work on their backlog.
- Should be flexible to help out other engineers and vehicle setup team if needed.
- Provide insight to anticipate technical/workflow issues and provide solutions.
- Engineering/Science degree
- Excellent maths and physics skills
- Understanding the basic principles of vehicle dynamics in multiple physics domains
- Software development experience, in particular using C++
- Great communicator and team player
- A passion to deliver quality simulation software
- Strong research skills and interest in real world vehicle systems
- Experience using visual modelling tools (e.g. Simulink)
- Experience with simulation or physics systems in a game engine; including tools pipeline, performance optimization, behaviour, etc. is beneficial but not required
We are committed to promoting equal opportunities and diversity, and all applicants will be considered on their merit, qualifications, competence and talent regardless of any protected characteristics.
- You will have a direct and significant impact on the future of our games
- You'll experience an environment where you will be challenged but supported
- We have an industry leading work-life balance
- We are developing games across multiple platforms using cutting edge technology
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Pension scheme
- Eye-care vouchers
- Free parking
- Free fruit, tea & coffee and a stocked pantry
- Access to funded fitness events and health checks.
- Regular social, sporting, and charity fundraising events